This has now been removed, revealing the outcome of a visit by a specialist heritage painter.
The scaffolding had been erected around an ornate lamp column in the Bridge Chamber garden, which had been in need of some care and attention.
Dating from 1914, the lamp column had originally been located on the Old Bridge, but was removed in the early 1980s. Following some refurbishment works, it was then installed in front of the Chamber, where it has remained ever since.
The latest work involved a careful re-paint by heritage painter Mick Pollard, a local craftsperson who has previously carried out works inside the Bridge Chapel and Chamber. Mr Pollard’s previous work for the Trust has included the painstaking restoration of a series of coats of arms dating from the 18th century.